Mercury fillings
Illustration of a mercury filling within a tooth which have been shown to contribute to a fungal/Candida /yeast overgrowth with a pink background

Mercury Poisoning

Mercury can wreak havoc in the body and especially the vapours from mercury dental fillings which can feed bacteria, fungi and yeasts which thrive on mercury. How does this happen? The school of thought here is that if there is an excess of toxic metals in the body, the body produce yeast as a way of absorbing it, so that it doesn’t enter the bloodstream. Clever, eh? However, when the load is too much for the yeast cells which become saturated, it tips over and is disposed through the colon or it poisons you. And it’s at this stage where things become more difficult as the Candida become more virulent, as they penetrate the intestinal wall and increase the permeability of the intestinal cell wall.

In the “The Yeast Syndrome,” written by Dr Trowbridge, he states that  some doctors specializing in candida treatment see 98% of their patients with chronic Candida also had mercury toxicity.

Another major issue with mercury and Candida, is that mercury acts like an antibiotic when it enters the body and wipes out all the healthy bacteria which allows Candida to take over.

At Michael Biamonte’s health clinic where he tested the mercury levels in his patients with various illnesses, found that 84% of his patients with candida had elevated mercury levels.

A lot of people with Candida complain of a variety of mental issues, and there is a good reason why. Mercury can inhibit the proper functioning of neurotransmitters like dopamine, serotonin and noradrenaline, resulting in a in depression, anxiety and lethargic tendencies. As it’s one of the most toxic substance in our environment, it has a profound effect on many of our major organs including the endocrine, nervous and brain organs. It’s important that we keep levels of mercury to an absolute minimum

Dr. Lars Friberg, Chief Adviser to the WHO on mercury safety, believes that “There is no safe level of mercury, and no one has actually shown that there is a safe level.”

Sources of Mercury Toxicity

We are all exposed to mercury and other heavy metals in many different ways in our daily lives with the. The most common sources of contamination are found in pollution in our air, our water, shellfish, shark, swordfish, broken thermometers, batteries, tuna, king mackerel, vaccinations, diuretics, wood preservatives, adhesives, tattoos, hair dies, paint, plastics, chlorine bleach,dental fillings, pesticides, fluorescent light bulbs – even the so called energy efficient CFL light to name but a few, so you can see there are many sources that could be looked at.

Testing for mercury

There are a few ways to test here. Bear in mind that when mercury enters the body, its not free floating. It buries itself in tissue so normal ways to test for foreign substance may not be accurate.

I would use both the RBC mineral test by genova and a hair mineral test. Why both?

Hair mineral is good for testing what has been stored in the body, whereas the RBC mineral test is good for showing recent exposure. This will give a complete picture of your toxicity if you are trying to assess heavy metals.

Removal methods

There are a number of popular methods of detoxing mercury including chlorella chelation, cilantro, glutathione, alpha-lipoic acid, n-acetyl-cysteine and clay (baths or oral with bentonite clay). However, I cannot emphasise enough to work with a practitioner who has experience in this field or things could be made a lot worse. You need to remove what is buried on top before getting at some of the deep rooted stuff.

The body must be prepared for treatment by opening up the detox pathways prior to mercury poisoning. If it’s not, it could be reabsorbed which could end up in a vicious cycle. The colon needs to be working which in turn opens the liver and lymphatic system. By doing a colon cleanse initially, you can look to get maximum effect from the detox/removal protocol of mercury and heavy metals.